I finally sewed a cardigan for myself! I get into such hangups about finding the perfect fabric to match a pattern that I tend to just put aside patterns or put aside fabric when I haven’t found its right match. I’m trying to get over that so I can just start sewing garments, and really, that’s part of the experimentation process too of seeing which types of fabric work with which styles of garments.
The pattern I chose for this beautiful dark turquoise French terry is the Blackwood Cardigan by Helen’s Closet.
I have a variety of photos to show it off today – the one above with my hand on my hip, and the one below with both arms down, HA.
Clearly I need to work on pose variety. Will write that one down in my Passion Planner.
So you might notice one change I made for the pockets – I ended up cutting out pieces that I just laid on top of the front panels and the sides and bottom were sewn with the seams (after hemming the pocket top, of course). I tried just laying the original pocket piece on top but it was SO wobbly. I tried the tissue paper trick as listed in the pattern but it didn’t work for me. I did use a zig zag stitch and I also didn’t use a ballpoint needle (oops, I forgot) so I wonder if it was for those reasons. Maybe I’ll have to try it again one day and use a straight stitch with a ballpoint. After all, it’s not like those pockets need to be stretched to fit over arms or head or anything, so the stretchiness of the zig zag stitch isn’t really that necessary.
I do love this cardigan and I’ve been wearing it often!